Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Meet this year’s final eight young horticulturist of the year competitors

Attending the competition final on May 6 at University Shrewsbury this year were a wide selection of contestants, from those already working in the industry to those still enjoying their horticultural studies. It was fantastic to see a range of contestants from different educational backgrounds. Both individuals who have known from a young age that their passion lies with horticulture, as well as those who have discovered it later in life, reveal how powerful a pull horticulture can have.

Horticulturists from all over the UK and Ireland will be going to find out who will hold the title of Young Horticulturist of the Year 2017, at University Centre Shrewsbury on Saturday May 6. You can keep up to date with the competition on  www.horticulture.org.uk and on twitter @CIHort #YHOY

Now is your chance to find out a bit more about the 2017 competitors.

Representing the South East – Julia Andersson

“I’ve had an interest in plants and nature for as long as I can remember, following my grandfather, who was a keen gardener, around the garden from an early age. My horticultural career started with a three-year college course in 2008 (age 16), carrying on with an HND at Pershore College. Following a period of employment and self-employment in the Horticultural sector; I undertook the Horticulture with Plantsmanship course delivered by SRUC and The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. I have since assumed the role of Head Gardener at Auchendolly Estate, which I began in April 2015.”

Representing Scotland – Lachlan Rae

“I live with my wife, Sian, and two children, Georgie and Harris. Being a father has highlighted the importance of promoting and encouraging young people in a horticultural context; which has resulted in me becoming a YoungHort Ambassador.

This year is my third competing in The Young Horticulturist of the Year competition grand final. Competing has brought me many opportunities and has offered a host of networking opportunities.”

Representing Ireland – Egle Zinkute

“I am a graduate of Trinity College Dublin with a BA in Religions, Theology and Biblical Studies as well as a minor in Film Studies and M.Phil. in Ecumenics. My passion for ethics suddenly turned to the dynamic physicality of the plant world.”

Representing the North – Matthew Brewer

“After initially getting bitten by the gardening bug at a young age, I first undertook professional horticulture while studying for a BSC (Hons) Horticulture Degree at Writtle College in Essex. Mid-way through my studies, I spent a year working on the Isles of Scilly, where I developed an interest for subtropical and Mediterranean plant groups. The next three years were spent at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew and today I am a Woodland Horticulturalist at RHS Garden Harlow Carr, heavily involved in the redevelopment of the woodland.”

Representing the East – Fern Champney

“I am a second-year BSc Horticulture student who competed in the competition last year. I have always been interested in plants since I was a child.”

Representing the South West – Peter Adams

“I graduated in 2009 with a BSc honours degree in Horticulture, and went on to work at Tresco Abbey Gardens as part of the Elizabeth Hess Scholarship program, afterwards I joined the RHS at Rosemoor as a trainee gardener for 12 months, before being taken on as a fulltime member of staff in 2011. Since then I have worked as part of the Fruit and Vegetable team, and am now the Horticultural Team Leader of the edibles department. I also work as part of Rosemoor’s arboriculture team, climbing and caring for many of Rosemoor’s beautiful mature trees.”

Representing West Midlands & South Wales – Josh Egan Wyer

“Having completed a BSc (Hons) in Horticulture at Pershore College in conjunction with the University of Worcester, I earned a job at the College running the wholesale plant nursery. Outside of horticulture, I build websites and tinker with my (mid-camper-conversion) van.”

 Representing the North West & North Wales – Nathan Foulds

 “I started working within the amenity horticultural industry around 6 years ago on a seasonal basis where I discovered my passion for plants and the garden. During my childhood I was influenced by my granddad who was a showman and used to take me with him to shows. Around 2-3 years ago I was taken on by a landscape gardening company based in Macclesfield on a part time basis. It was at this point that I decided to apply at Reaseheath college to begin studying for a RHS Level 2 Diploma in my spare time.  Since then I have decided to continue with my studies onto level 3 and I have recently started up my own small Landscape Gardening and maintenance business.”

No comments:

Post a Comment